Hey all,
This week in the MTC has been great, albeit tiring. I'm always tired, and I've heard from some of the teachers, that that's basically how it goes for the next two years. Fun. I really enjoy it, though.
I was showing everyone pictures of the Ludwigs, and Elder Ding thinks that Kyler and I could be brothers. He thinks we look almost the same. It pretty much made my life, I think.
Late last week, everyone started telling me that they thought I was gonna be the next Zone Leader, cause the old ones were leaving this week. I, of course, told them to get real, and that I didn't want any responsibility at all. I was perfectly happy being a regular missionary, and I hoped to stay that way. Well, good news and bad news. I'm not a Zone Leader, but I was made a District Leader. Shoot! Now I have to get the mail and take care of people and actually care about people! I never knew how much people wanted their mail until I got this job. They interrogate you about if you've gone, if they've got a letter, and what type it is. When they don't get mail, they give you a sad face like it's your fault. I tell the Elders that I'll write them love letters if they're so desperate, but no one has taken me up on that offer.
For Kevin: The other day, we were doing something, and Elder Ding said, "Like a boss!" I'm not sure where he picked it up. Probably from Elder Zanudo. Elder Zanudo taught him "Hey, son," and "For sure, shawty." One night, at dinner, Elder Ding said, "For sure, shawty," and a sister took one look at him, smiled, and then looked down at her food with a strange look. Pure humor. I laughed so hard.
There's an Elder from Jordan here, Elder Elias. He's super strange. I don't understand him even when he speaks good English. Mostly, he just says, "Really? Awesome!" in a high pitched voice to everything you say. He kind of looks like a browner Mr. Bean, and he smiles that way too.
Elder Kimbar, one of the Elders from the Marshall Islands gave Elder Ding and I lavalavas (sp?). We've been wearing them around the residence. I've even put mine over my suit while I'm in the residence. This morning, we did our laundry while wearing them. It was so funny. Everyone first looks at your legs (well, more the lavalava), then at your face, and then at your legs, and then get funny looks on their faces. I can't think of anything funnier that I've done since getting here. All the Polynesian missionaries had them on too, so we kind of fit in... well, sort of.
I feel like I've really been blessed with the gift of tongues while I've been here. My Chinese has gotten so much better. It amazes me how fast I've been able to learn it. I truly see the Lord's hand in my life on a daily basis, as he makes my mind more accomodating to Chinese words. I've started reading the BoM in Chinese (in the great BoM with Chinese, pingying, and English all side by side), and I've learned quite a few characters. I can read some verses without ever looking at the pingying. It blows my mind. I hope to be even better by the time I get to Taiwan. We sat behind the Taichung Elders at the devotional on Sunday, and I taught them (youhuo [temptation]). I hope to make it a tradition when I get to the branch. Kidding. Sort of.
A sad experience:
We have "progressing investigators" here in the MTC. They're basically teachers who pretend to be investigators. Elder Kwok and I have Brother B.Y., who's really hard. He doesn't accept anything. The first time we taught, we both felt like we should teach the Plan of Salvation, but neither of us knew the scripture references that well, and we had a different plan. When we talked later, we realized we'd both had the impression, and that we'd ignored the Spirit! I was thoroughly frustrated with myself, but I also know that it was a good lesson to learn, one that I'd much rather learn in the MTC than in the field. I truly know that the Lord leads us in this work, and that He's very intent on helping us say the right things for His children.
Well, I think that's about it. I love you all!
Mark/Elder Siebert (depending on my mood/righteousness)
PS: Me and Elder Kwok get along great, mostly because he's a black belt, and could beat me to a pulp if I'm not nice. Kidding. He's actually very kind and dedicated, and I love having him as my companion. Also, we look like brothers. I'll send pictures.
Two years is up!
13 years ago
Great letter! I feel like I am right there (unlike Ky's letters, which leave me wondering what is going on most the time)I love how Mark looks like everyones brother...coolly cool boy!Karl had a lavalava on his mission too.....I think he still has it somewhere!
ReplyDelete