Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekly Report: Lychee, Korean-American Conspiracies, and Bike Rides down Mountains

Hey Everyone!
This week has been really busy and tiring. Elder Wilson is District Leader now, so he spends all the time we've got at the apartment at night doing daily followups. I spend all my time doing our plans for the next day and updating the area book (I did area book in the past too). It leaves me with barely any time to write in my journal (which I am diligently keeping), to eat fruit (which I am adamant about), or to take my nightly cold shower (nothing feels better). It's good though. I always have something to do.
 
I had a Taiwan moment a week ago. When I was on exchanges with Elder Wood, he turned on the air conditioning in the room, and I got so cold I had to get a blanket. The air conditioner was only set to 22 degrees Celcius! I think I'm turning Taiwanese! They're all terrified of the cold. However, I still don't like the heat too much (though I can withstand it better now). I hope I learn to like it, cause it's gonna get HOT.
 
Food Review: Lychee
So good. That's all I have to say. They're a small fruit that's got a bumpy red peel and white flesh. You basically peel the peel half off and then suck the fruit into your mouth, chewing it off the seed. I love it. I give it 5 sweet sensations out of 5.
 
Excuse Review:
Yesterday, I contacted a guy in a car at the post office. I got a little ways into the contact, when he suddenly turned up his radio and yelled, "America is up to something in Korea! I just know it!" It was super random, and I was a little taken aback at first. I told him that the world was full of chaos, but that the Gospel could help him find peace. Didn't work. He sped off shortly after. This excuse was rather effective, as it broke up the contact, and wasn't really something I could refute. I have no idea what's going on in the outside world. I give it 4 rumors of wars out of 5.
 
This week, I saw the coolest helmet ever. It was a red helmet painted to look like a strawberry, and it even had little green pieces of fabric sticking out of the top. Just thought I'd mention it.
 
Today for P-Day, we went and climb er4 jian2 mountain (or something close to that name). It rained like CRAZY, and we were soaked. We met up with Elder Wood and his trainee, Elder Nielson (who, incidentally, was supposed to be my MTC companion, but I already spoke Chinese) and started to bike up. Not easy. It was really really steep, and Elder Nielson and I ended up walking our bikes up a fair portion of it. Then we started climbing the stairs. We climbed stairs for about an hour. Luckily, there were lots of cool views and bugs, some of which I got pictures of. When we finally reached the top, there was a little restaurant there. It was so typically Taiwanese. They're obsessed with food; when you say you've been to a place, they ask if you ate the local delicacy. I laughed so hard. We looked off across Taiwan from the top of the mountain. It was beautiful. On one side, we could see cities, and on the other, we could see more mountains, and waterfalls. It was so green and so gorgeous. God truly created a beautiful world for us to live it. On the way home, I was pretty scared, as we FLEW down the mountain on our bikes. (Mom, don't read this sentence) Elder Wood's odometer said we maxed out at 58 kilometers per hour. It was fun, but also really really scary. Great preparation day.
 
Last night, we went and visited Zhan SunNeng, because he didn't come to church yesterday because he was sick and it rained REALLY hard. He's doing great. He's really happy, despite the hard circumstances of his life. The Gospel of Jesus Christ has truly changed his life so much, and he's so much happier than he was before. We chatted for a long time, and then shared Helaman 5:12 with him. He loved the scripture, and told us that he felt that building his foundation on Christ was to apply His teachings in his life. Brother Zhan has truly been blessed by the message of the Restored Gospel, and seeing his conversion process has truly opened my eyes to the blessings the Church can bring into our lives. I invite you all to think about the ways the Gospel of Jesus Christ has blessed your lives. This week, resolve to be grateful for the Atonement, and for the blessings that stem from it.
 
I love and miss you all,
Elder Siebert

No comments:

Post a Comment