Thursday, September 16, 2010

Weekly Report: The thank you excuse, opposition

Hey Everyone!
This week was a good one as well. They're always good. I always learn a lot.

Excuse Review: The Thank You Turn Away
Here's one that I get all the time. You'll start talking to someone, and then they'll respond by saying "Thank you." It kind of has the feel of, "thank you, that's quite enough," and it really throws off the contact, especially when you've just asked them a question of the soul and get that for a response. It's a good way to tell who's not too interested though. 4 grateful g-(fill in with something that alliterates) out of 5.

This week I went out on exchanges with Elder Byington in Zhanghua City. He's also from Orem, and is super chill. It was a fun afternoon of pretty much straight contacting. The people in Zhanghua were more willing to listen than those in Xihu. While I was in Zhanghua, and I met three girls from Utah and they bought me a peanut butter ice cream and cilantro thing. Not bad. Members just love missionaries. It was a good exchange.

Several days this week were pretty miserable. I was getting shut down over and over again by the people here in Xihu. It seemed like no one was willing to talk. My teaching has been off throughout the entire move call to this point. As I laid in bed on Friday night, I wondered where everything had gone wrong. I was alright with contacting not working out (sort of); I have never thought contacting was my great strength, but it was killing me that I couldn't seem to teach with the power I was used to. During my second move call, the Assistants commented to the Zone Leaders about what a good teacher I was, and now it seems I haven't got it anymore. I laid there in bed, feeling really worthless. Nobody was willing to listen, and I couldn't teach when they would. As I thought about it, I realized that I didn't truly know how to rely upon the Lord. Throughout my life, there has never been a problem too big to take care of, no subject to complex to figure out. However, at that moment I knew I needed Him. I was relying upon my own might, which was not enough. I prayed to God, telling Him that I couldn't do it. I let Him know that I was trying my best, but nothing seemed to be working out. That night, I felt comfort come to me, and hope for the coming days. Things have gone better since then. Not perfect, but better. I know that if we will rely upon the power of God, and not upon our own strength, things go much better. He looks out for each of us. When it seems like there's nothing else that can work, turn to Him. Just let Him know you're doing your best, but you can't do it alone. He will listen, He will comfort, and He will help. God loves each and everyone of us. Of this I am certain.

I hope you all have a good week. Rely upon the Lord. Love,
Elder Siebert

1 comment: