Hey Everyone!
This week has been a good one. I've learned a lot. My companion is really amazing. Elder Mikkelsen can really TALK to anyone. He's got a lot of Taiwanese phrases down and everyone just thinks he's so cool. More than one person has been stopped on the road long enough to hear a little about the message because of this. I hope to get some Taiwanese down so I can get people to stop too. The people are more hard hearted here in Xihu than they were in Douliu, so I need all the help I can get.
The ward here is AMAZING. They're so good. For example, we have this family that we're teaching, but they're never home and they've only got a home phone. They live with the husband's big sister, who does NOT like us (though she softens a little if I use my Taiwanese accent on her). We have a really hard time getting a hold of the family, so we asked the Bishop and his wife yesterday at church to help us out there. Last night, we got a phone call from the bishop. Bishop Zhao said that he'd set up a time to meet with them on Tuesday. This is just how the members are. The chapel (it's really big and pretty) is pretty much the central hub of church life here in Xihu. They have activities there almost every night, from Taichi to Institute to belly dancing (sort of, and yes, really). It's really really cool and I really love the ward. They've really welcomed me in. Apparently, I wasn't just popular with the Young Women in Douliu. Yesterday, after I came out of the chapel with an investigator and was waiting for him outside the bathroom, a group of about 8 girls were just kind of standing around watching me. Finally, one of them came over and said, "Shi zhanglao, they all want to talk to you, but they're just afraid cause you're too handsome." I would have been awkwarded out a couple of months ago, but I'm used to being a good looking halfie by now, so I just said hi and then went to Sunday School. Seems like the ward likes me. Hehe.
Food Review: A Bian4 Dang1-less week
My companion hates Bian4 dang1s, so we haven't had any this week. I can't say that I've really had anything crazy lately. I'm having pidgeon today with one of the ward's recent converts, though, so stay tuned!
Sorry for the lack of reviews, but I haven't got much to share. Paisei, honh (Taiwanese, so there's no real way to write it in English).
This week was my first week in Xihu, so in church, I obviously got to bear my testimony in church. I really wanted to say something that would help the ward out, and I prayed a lot before doing it that my efforts would be acceptable to the Lord. As I got up to the stand and started introducing myself, I stopped thinking about what I was saying and just talked. It was kind of a surreal experience as I felt the Spirit speak through me. What I said was powerful, and my Chinese was good and much more elegant than it typically is. I mean, my Chinese is pretty good these days, but it was REALLY good yesterday. There was no way that came from me. I can truly testify that the Spirit can prompt us to say what we should say if we will just open our mouths and have sincere desire to share the Gospel. The Church is true, folks. God and Christ live, and through their prophet, Joseph Smith, their church is once again upon the earth. The restored truth can bless everyone of our lives if we will let it. Embrace the Gospel and its teachings. There is no other way to find true joy and lasting peace. I know that God loves each of you, and that no matter how hard things seem, He's looking out for you.
I love you all.
Elder Siebert
Two years is up!
13 years ago
how would it be to be that good looking?
ReplyDelete