Monday, December 20, 2010

Weekly Report: Lack of Fashion, Working with Investigators

Hey Everyone! Merry Christmas!
It's been cold this week! On Wednesday, Elder Warnick and I were joking about how it was probably just nice all winter here. I went so far as to say that it was probably some government secret that any time someone leaves the island, they're forced to swear that they'll tell everyone winter is cold and miserable in Taiwan. Well, the very next day, it got COLD. FRIGID. Wow. It's not a lie! It's all real! I'm sorry for ever doubting you, Mom and Dad!

These days, I couldn't care what I look like. On Preparation Days, I walk around with a camera, a phone, and a clicker counter on my waist. I'd never be caught dead like that back home. I also seem to wear clashing clothes a lot. It's sad, cause Elder Warnick mocks me for it all the time.

Excuse Review:
This week, I contacted a man who told me he could not learn about the gospel because he lived in the countryside, so it wasn't allowed. I told him, "that's no problem!" and tried to get him to set up, but he refused. Who knew that not living in the city could damn you to hell (kidding!)? Let that be a warning to all of you who are considering moving out of the city limits. I'd say even the suburbs could be dangerous. 2 distanced deliquents out of 5.

Food Review:
My mom requested that I start this again. The thing is, I haven't really been eating anything weird lately. My companion does not like weird food. We eat a lot of very tame (boring) stuff. However, Elder Warnick LOVES Taiwanese drinks, so I've been having a lot of those. We have a favorite drink shop, called Jack Boy. I think my favorite thing is the caramel milk. So far, I've tried mango milk, lemon winter melon tea, and honey lemon tea. My companion always gets winter melon tea with milk and those squishy little brown "pearls." All the people who work there know just what he likes. There's also another store close to our house where the owner LOVES me cause she thinks it's so funny when I speak the couple of phrases I know in Taiwanese. The bottom line is, Taiwanese drinks are GOOD. SO DANG GOOD! 5 overhydrated missionaries out of 5 (that's me and my companion!)

This week was really hard. I don't think I've had a harder week on my mission. We started out the week with three people who had goals for Christmas baptism. One dropped out early, but is actually progressing now (he's kind of an eternal investigator). Another is a super shy kid who heard everything in Taibei and has now passed an interview and is waiting on permission from his legal guardian. Lastly, was our golden father, Lai4 ming2zhang1. He was contacted and taught a first lesson by the Zone Leaders a couple of weeks ago, and then referred to us. From the beginning, he's been thoroughly golden. Any commandment, any commitment, he was always willing. However, his wife was only ok with us, and when we taught him tithing on Friday, she refused to let him pay. He was willing, but she wouldn't let him. He dropped his baptismal goal, and skipped church yesterday. Last night when I called him, he told us he didn't want to meet anymore. He sounded really sad and frustrated, but was adamant that there were other people who needed us and not to waste time on him. I cried when I got off the phone. It was thoroughly heartbreaking. I'd fasted for him the day before! How could this happen? Such was my state of mind as I sat there. However, I can trust in the Lord. I know that He will make things turn out right. I sincerely believe that someday, Brother Lai's situation will change and he will meet the missionaries again. I can only hope that then, he still remembers us and the love we had for him. He will be baptized. It's just a matter of time. Trust in the Lord, everyone. It's the only way to face the troubles in our lives. If we don't, the sorrow can break us.

Saturday was probably one of the most stressful days of my life, but I had a great experience at the end of it. Saturday morning, I had to take a train out to Xinying to do a baptismal interview for the Zone Leaders, who were busy. The guy I interviewed was really late, and then also took forever to eventually fail the interview (it was a stressful and hard interview), which meant we were late to get back to Jiayi for the interview of our investigator, Jimmy (the shy one). I called the Zone Leaders and moved back the interview, but Jimmy often fails to pick up his phone, which happened that day. Eventually, he picked up, and we rushed to the church with him (We were late!). It was a long interview and we worried that he wouldn't pass, but eventually he did. Then that night we met with Brother Lai, and taught him about Tithing as mentioned above. He told us he'd talk with his wife, and hoped he could be baptized the next week. We got in the door really late, so I was really busy doing followups and planning and doing numbers and all that, so by the time 10:30 came, I was so ready for the day to be over. I knelt down next to my bed and started to pray. "Father, today's been tough," I said. Immediately, I felt a powerful peace wash over me. The words, "it's ok, you did enough, you are who you need to be now," came to my mind and I felt the tension leave me. I am so grateful for the Comforter. We stress the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion, but it's just as important for us missionaries. I can testify that the Spirit is real. He has real power to influence. He can give us comfort and direction. Always strive to have the Spirit. It is such a gift that so few are entitled to.

I love you all! Have a great Christmas!
Elder Siebert

No comments:

Post a Comment