Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekly Report: Move to YongKang, Ghost Cockroach, *** Fortitude Shirt

Well, folks,
Of course the big news is that I moved! I'm now in the Tainan YongKang 2nd Ward. It's got the stake center, so we have a really big church to go to. I've heard that mangoes are really cheap here. I can't wait. My new companion is Elder Lapray. He's on his seventh move call, and is the only junior companion I've had that hasn't been on his first or second move call. That's pretty exciting. I was pretty sad to leave Elder Chen behind but...

The GHOST COCKROACH was there. Let me explain. For the last two weeks, there was a cockroach living in one of the burners of our stove. We called him the Ghost Cockroach(鬼蟑螂). Every night we'd go into the kitchen looking for him and then try to scare him out and burn him to death in the fire. But he never died. One night, I went in there, and there was a cockroach on the ground. I screamed like mad and sprayed him to death with bug spray. I triumphantly told Elder Chen I killed the Ghost Cockroach, and we went to bed happy. But then, the next day was one of the most unlucky days in my mission. We went to visit a less active who was home, but was busy at the moment. Then our recent convert who is ALWAYS home was not home. Then our new investigators who were really good two days before were really not good in a lesson. I called a guy we'd met with the day before and he said he couldn't meet, and to go find his neighbor, who is a member. Two seconds later, we see that member on the street. We rode to a former's house, who drove off just as we got there. The next person we went to visit had left the country just a few days before. The CURSE OF THE GHOST COCKROACH! But then, that night, Elder Chen saw the Ghost Cockroach in the burner. I'd only killed his friend! So we killed him. We killed him with a vengeance. The next day went alright.

Food Review: Frozen Lychee
That's really all there is to it. Delicious. Jealous, Mom? 5 frozen fruits out of 5.

Shirt Review
I'm not making this one up. I saw a kid who's shirt said, and I'm still not making this up, "Testicular Fortitude." I don't know if he knew what it meant, cause advertising like that is just begging for a serious kicking. Anyways, I laughed really hard and tried to explain to Elder Chen, but apparently my Chinese is lacking in some areas. 5 testicular TMI's out of 5.

Well, I'm really excited to be in YongKang. It was really sad to have to leave Jiayi. The Young Single Adults in the ward had an ice cream party for me last night. That was fun (and we added an investigator who came and is moving to YongKang in a week, cool). Afterwards, we went and visited the Liao family, who said that they couldn't bear to see me go. So we sat and talked to them for a while. Brother Liao told me he'd heard a rumor that one could order the Liahona, and we told him of course he could, and he was really excited. I was pretty happy about that. Their kid, KaiKai was really sad to see me go. He was yelling about how much he hated it. I think I've really learned a lot during my time in Jiayi. It was hard. Really hard. But a lot of good came out of it. I've become stronger and more capable. I've learned a lot about the Atonement and the power it has to heal our wounds and give us strength to keep going. I don't really know what the future holds for me here in YongKang, but I'm sure that whatever happens, the Lord is making sure it goes right. I'm sure that's how life is all the time; I'm just more conscious of it while on a mission. Look for the miracles in your life. Search for the moments when you're sure something more than coincidence is shaping the course of your life. You'll find God. You'll find a perfect Father who loves you. You'll come to know the Savior.

I love you all. Stay safe. Love,
Elder Siebert

No comments:

Post a Comment