Hey Everyone!
I hope you're all doing well. As my little brother said, it's gotten a little warmer here in Taiwan. I'm ok, though. Doesn't really bother me too much. I guess I must be stronger than him. Or more Taiwanese.
We got to have a baptism this week! 劉光倫 (Brother Liu) is super solid. He's this really shy guy that Elder Salgado sat down with and bought a Coke. He came and met with us and has progressed swiftly and steadily, and is now a member of the church of Jesus Christ. What a lucky guy. In the testimony he bore at the end of his baptismal service, he told us all that he felt peace and joy when he came to church, and loves coming. Brother Liu is truly and answer to my prayers. He has become good friends with my recent convert, Ben, and the two of them will be able to help each other endure to the end.
Last night was fun. Elder Sorensen and I got to go to a ward member's house for dinner. It was pretty much a YSA party (except for the American RM who Larry'ed) and was tons of fun. Teddy was really hyper. Pretty fun.
Food Review: The Copycat
I went out and bought some 炸醬 and put it on toast just like my little brother did. It was really pretty good. Kind of just salty. Nice bedtime snack though. 4 copy cats out of 5.
Food Review: Redone
Yeah, I know I've reviewed this one before, but I had a mango shaved ice this afternoon. The mangos were still not terribly ripe, so it wasn't as good as I'm used to, but I'm sure it was tons better than anything any of you suckers can get back home. Jealous?
Wow, Conference was great. There was a very strong family emphasis, and I got to learn a lot of the things that I wanted to learn. Most importantly, Conference strengthed my faith a lot. In the last few months, I feel like my faith has really suffered a lot. Seen a lot of hardships. Hurt a whole lot. Even just last week, when Ben told us that because he did poorly on the TOEFL test he didn't want to come to church (don't worry, he came this week!), I hurt like crazy and wanted to be finished with it all. I've complained a lot against God. Chewed him out real dirty and wished I could bring myself to disbelieve in Him. Sometimes, that seemed like it'd be better than believing in Someone who would keep hurting me over and over again. Throughout this last week, I've looked for the way to find faith and excitement again. I read talks, the scriptures, prayed hard, and really desired it. Things did slowly get better, but it wasn't until Conference that I really felt filled with the Spirit; it wasn't until I listened to many talks about the Atonement and pain that I realized I needed to suffer. I felt really bad for my behavior and repented. Now, I feel like things will get better, and those things that don't get better are endurable if I will just rely upon the Atonement of Christ and seek the answers it provides for us as individuals through diligent prayer. We will all have struggles. Sometimes, those struggles make us think that God doesn't love us, or that we're doomed. In my trials, I often wondered why there wasn't a recipe for using the Atonement to face our trials. However, as I listened this week, I've come to realize that that's because we're all different and the Atonement is something different to each of us. Jesus Christ overcame all our trials when he suffered for us in the Garden, so we can too. If we will counsel with Him through prayer, we will be granted understanding to keep going. I urge you all the think about what the Atonement means to you personally. Think about who Jesus is to you. Let Him heal you. Let Him wrap you in the arms of His love and carry you over the dark abysses of trial that you face.
I love you all and know that the Savior loves you far more perfectly than I. I pray that all goes well for you this coming week. Love,
Elder Siebert
PS: I guess I'll see Floppy again in the Resurrection. I wonder if he comes forth in the First Resurrection.
Two years is up!
13 years ago
The guy that gave the talk in conference on Pain and the Atonement was just a Ky's mission.
ReplyDelete