Hey Everyone!
I hope you all had a good two weeks, as I took a hiatus from the update. Sorry, I haven't got much time today either, cause I spend too much time writing to my mom in Chinese (it's addicting!). I don't happen to have my captain's log on me at the moment, so I'm gonna have to kind of make it up.
The big news, of course, is that I got me my 70. This week, I got to translate for Elder Gerrit Gong twice. He's a nice short man. Genius. No one's said "pax romana" to me in ages. Also, he recommended that I read some Tang Dynasty poetry after the mission (actually, he told me to ask President if I could do a little for language study, but he overlooked the fact that I'm in the office and I have no time for such nonsense), and then gave me a big hug (hardly anyone can claim that a 70 has ever looked them in the eye and asked, "can I give you a hug?") during our private little interview which was more like a chat session. PS: He knows my dad, and informed me that my dad was a large reason BYU's got a respectable math ed department. He's a 70, and can only speak the truth. Next time you see my dad, give him a pat on the beta for me!
Wow, I'm trying to think what happened. I'll just write down the lines:
- "I broke my phone."
"That's probably something you should tell Elder Jensen."
"I would, but he always answers the phone by asking, 'what'd you break this time,' and this time I really broke something."
-That man is totally selling goldfish and guppies out of the back of his truck! I'm seriously reconsidering my options as a programmer right now!
-I never dreamed that I'd be able to read Chinese names, let alone tell by looking at a couple's names that the wife was bought from the Philippines.
-Bam! I just ordered several hundred feet of Subway sandwiches!
-The mayor of Taichung gave me peanuts! Ok, so he gave them to the Bishops, who regifted them to me, but that basically means the mayor knows me, right...?
Ok, I can't think of anymore. On a different note, though, yesterday, Elder Jensen and I had to go down to the southern most area of the island. It was beautiful. I haven't seen a blue sky in ages (the pollution's pretty bad typically). The mountains were green and the ocean was a gorgeous blue green. I sat there thinking about just how beautiful life is and how wonderful of a world we live in. God made us a really nice place to live and filled our lives with goodness. There are good people, good things, good ideas, etc. all there to make our lives better. I think sometimes our vision gets crowded by the other things in our lives. But it's nice sometimes to be able to enjoy the beauty for a moment. Try and find a time to do so this week. It's rather nice.
I love you all, and hope you all have a good week! Love,
Elder Siebert
Two years is up!
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment